Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


Campus Organizations

Cross-Cultural Center

Greek Life

International Center

Leadership Programs

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center

New Student Programs

Office of Student Conduct

Veteran Services Office


Campus Organizations

How can I find information about a Registered Campus Organization (RCO)?
From the Campus Organizations homepage (, you can do a search for organizations by org name, and keywords. The results show the organization’s website, contact person (including email and phone number) and a description of their organization. You can also search through the entire list of RCOs.

How can I get involved in a RCO? Contact the organization directly (do a search from our homepage to get a contact person’s name/email/phone) and ask when their meeting times are and how to get involved. The Campus Organizations staff cannot provide as up-to-date and accurate information about an organization than the organization itself can.

How can I start a club (RCO)?
Starting an organization takes 3 people with a strong interest in a particular topic or issue and $50.00 (registration fee). An advisor is highly recommended but not required to register. Registration is online and new organizations will need to meet with the Campus Organizations staff for an initial entrance interview. After the interview, the organization may pay its registration fee and will be officially recognized. To ensure registration for the following quarter, it is imperative that the organization also send one signer to a mandatory orientation held for all organizations. 

Who does Campus Organizations serve?
RCOs can be run by UCI students (graduate or undergraduate), faculty, or staff, or a mixture of all. Student Life & Leadership and the Office of Campus Organizations primarily serves UCI students, however, we also recognize and register faculty and staff organizations. UCI Human Resources and the Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity offer additional services and advisement for faculty and staff organizations. Off-campus individuals may be advisors or members of RCOs, but may not serve as board members and/or voting members of an organization. Ultimately, Campus Organizations serves the entire UCI community by providing leadership and involvement opportunities.

What resources are provided to RCOs?
RCOs have access to the CORE Office (Student Center, G306), Poster Room, web and email services, mail boxes, subsidized poster paper and markers, access to funding boards, advising, workshops, and the opportunity to be involved in campus-wide opportunities.

What programs does Campus Organizations host?
Anteater Involvement Fair: Every Monday of Welcome Week in Aldrich Park. A campus-wide welcome for incoming first year and transfer students. Open to the entire campus community.

Anteater Awards: Held in May. This event celebrates and recognizes RCOs for their work and achievements. Open to the campus community.

Workshops: Held throughout Fall, Winter and Spring quarters. Workshops are 1 to 1.5 hour educational events open to all RCO members.

What is CORE?
CORE stands for Campus Organizations Resources & Education. CORE is the student-run portion of the Campus Organizations area. CORE Consultants provide workshops, outreach, and peer advisement to the over 550 RCOs and contribute to the Office of Campus Organizations mission of enriching student involvement through outreacheducation, and supportThe CORE Office is located on the 3rd floor (G306) of the UCI Student Center G building next to the Student Life & Leadership Office.

What is the difference between CORE and ASUCI’s Club Outreach Commission?
CORE provides resources and one-on-one advisement to RCOs in addition to educational workshops and training. ASUCI’s Club Outreach Commission focuses on outreach by providing opportunities for organizations to be involved in ASUCI (i.e., Shocktoberfest, Homecoming, Welcome Week activities, etc.) and by creating organization-specific events (i.e., President’s Roundtable, Club Olympics, Anteater Bite).  

What are the topics that Campus Organizations and CORE advise organizations about?
Our most advised-about topics are: event planning, risk management and liability insurance, member recruitment and retention, campus-wide marketing and publicity, how to start a club, how to gain funding, etc.

What do RCO registration fees pay for?
Registration fees pay for subsidized poster paper, CORE Office equipment and materials, CORE workshops, printed resource materials, and large-scale programs including Anteater Involvement Fair and Anteater Awards.


Cross-Cultural Center

What does the Cross-Cultural Center (CCC) do?
The CCC at UCI is dedicated to creating and maintaining a socially just campus, fostering the cultural identities within the campus community, and providing opportunities for intellectual exchange, student leadership development, and community engagement. The CCC was the first multicultural center established at a campus of the University of California. As it has since its establishment in 1974, the CCC continues to provide many students a home away from home. And, for many, it remains a place in which students can launch their involvement in the myriad campus programs and leadership opportunities available to them. A wide array of educational programs that advance learning, celebrate multiculturalism, and promote service to others are offered by the CCC throughout the year.

What is the CCC and how can I get involved?
The Cross-Cultural Center is a place where students can explore their own cultural identities, develop their leadership skills, and learn about communities of color.  This happens through the efforts of CCC students, faculty and staff coming together and working on initiatives to create a socially just campus and community.

Students can get involved by participating in the CCC programs and initiatives, by getting involved with CCC affiliated organizations, by becoming a CCC volunteer, and becoming a CCC intern.  Students are encouraged to see one of the CCC staff to help them find an involvement that is of fit.

CCC initiatives and programs include but are not limited to CCC classes, CCC Quarterly Community Dinners, Rainbow Festival and Conference, Winter Solstice, Alternative Winter Break, MLKJ Day of Service, MLKJ Symposium, Pictionary Tournament, Alternative Spring Break, Deconstruction Week, End of the Year Celebration, Multicultural Programming Funding Committee, and REACH (Reaffirming Ethnic Awareness and Community Harmony).  We also provide opportunities for publicity, student and student group advisement around issues as it relates to cultural programming and social justice, and provide 2 conference rooms and 1 boardroom available for reservation.

If I want to volunteer in the community, how can I get involved?
There are multiple ways to get involved in the community that the Cross-Cultural Center offers. Students can find agencies to be involved with at this website  They are able to get units for their involvement or a stipend for 3,000 hours for the year through the Americorp Program.  We encourage student to come and see the CCC staff to provide more direction about their involvement.  Also, there are opportunities through some of the CCC programs like the Martin Luther King Jr. Internship Fair: Community Engagement & Advocacy, Alternative Winter Break, Alternative Spring Break, and MLKJ Day of Service.

What are the umbrella organizations and why do they have office space?
These five umbrella organizations were instrumental to the founding of the Cross-Cultural Center and thus have a space at the CCC.  At the time of founding the CCC they along with some staff and faculty, they saw the need to create a safe space for students of color to come together and exchange ideas.  As time has gone by, the umbrella organizations along with other members of the CCC have also created a space for multicultural education and celebration.  Umbrella organizations provide a space for students to engage in dialogue about the issues faced by these particular communities as an entry point for conversations about social justice.  Each umbrella organization works with each of the community respectively and across communities to address issues impacting them at UC Irvine and outside.  The five umbrella organizations are Alyansa ng mga Kababayan, American Indian Student Association, Asian Pacific Student Association, Black Student Union, and Movimiento Estudiantil Chican@ de Aztlan.

What programs are continuing from the Center for Service in Action (CSA) and what was cut?
Although the CSA was cut, the CCC has incorporated several community engagement programs as part of the annual CCC events.  Alternative Winter and Spring Break, Students in Service, and MLK Day of Service are three programs that continue to exist as part of the CCC.  In addition other community engagement programs will be reimagined through the CCC like the volunteer fair that will take place during the MLK Jr. Symposium Week.  Due to budget and limited staffing, not all CSA functions could be continued.  As the CCC transitions to incorporate community and civic engagement into it’s mission and values, other programs may be included or initiated to reflect the commitment to service and social justice.  

Is the Center for Service in Action (CSA) now at the CCC?
No!  The funding for the CSA was eliminated which included staff, space, and programming.  However, at the discretion of the Dean of Students, community engagement and service will continue to exist through the CCC.  The CCC has embraced the new responsibilities and has incorporated much of what the CSA did in its mission and charge.

How does my organization become affiliated with the CCC?
The CCC Affiliation process is meant to fulfill the mission of the Cross-Cultural Center and to create a space that is a “home” for individuals and student organizations.  Student organizations that affiliate with CCC, can benefit in multiple ways, including room reservation, publicity, and access to CCC special events.  In order to become affiliated with the CCC, organizations must follow the following steps.  


Re-register with Student Life & Leadership and pay the registration fee. Be sure to include your CCC Affiliation during registration. Organizations will be contacted by one of the CCC staff members after registration to meet and approve your affiliation.


Read and understand all "Cross-Cultural Center Affiliated Student Organization Benefits" which can be found online at


After registration, one of the CCC staff members will contact the organization to meet with the executive board. Student orgs must meet with one of the CCC staff members during Fall Quarter for approval to review general information and responsibilities. 


Affiliation with the CCC requires an active engagement in the CCC community. Orgs are asked to participate in the following:

  • CCC sponsored events.
  • Multicultural Leadership Retreat
  • Attend planning meetings and co-sponsor one of the following CCC programs: Rainbow Festival & Conference (Fall), Martin Luther King Jr. Symposium (Winter), and Deconstruction Week (Spring)
  • Attend Quarterly Community Dinners (held on Mondays of week four each quarter).
  • Communicate your events to Check often this page for updated lists of affiliated organizations.


Where can I post (leave flyers) at the CCC?
The only place you can leave flyers in the CCC is at the front desk of the CCC staff offices, though you can ask the individual umbrella offices if they would like to take one. If you’d like you can send information about an event to and you can get one of our student interns to include it on our website calendar and in the CCC Weeklies for distribution among our student organizations.  You can also visit our website at and find out how to get an event posted on the Axis TV in the main lobby of the CCC.

How do I reserve a room in the CCC?
In order to reserve a room in the CCC you must either visit the CCC and pick up a Room Reservation Request Form or download the form from our website, fill it out, and turn it in to the front desk in the CCC admin offices. You must be an authorized signer for a student organization in order to request a room reservation.

What is REACH?
REACH, which stands for Reaffirming Ethnic Awareness and Community Harmony, is a program with two components: 1) a class which educates students about diversity and social justice issues and trains students to facilitate workshops related to these topics, and 2) workshops that are available upon request by UCI community members that are facilitated by REACH students.

Can I borrow some tape?
It depends… are we going to see you again?  Are you going to come visit and say “hi”?  Typically, we’ll allow students to have a few pieces of tape, but we’re not likely to give students an entire roll of masking tape or the dispenser for Scotch tape.


Greek Life

How do I join a fraternity/sorority?
The process of joining a fraternity/sorority differs.  If you are interested in a particular organization, contact them directly to learn the specifics of their process. In the Fall Quarter, chapters that belong to the National Panhellenic Conference participate in Panhellenic Sorority Recruitment.  For more information, contact the Panhellenic Council.

Each organization practices their individual method. Some promote a year-round recruitment philosophy while others only recruit at specific times. Some host information sessions you can attend while others participate in a specific process for all interested members. If you are interested in membership in an historically African-American or culturally based organization (typically members of the Multicultural Greek Council), then you should attend informationals and participate in programs they sponsor. We also encourage you to ask questions of members on campus to learn more about their organization. If you are interested in an Interfraternity Council organization, then you should attend some of their recruitment events.  Check out their websites. Feel free to ask around to get more information. There are many groups. If you are interested in a Panhellenic Council organization, then we encourage you to sign up for Panhellenic Formal Recruitment. You can get more information about each of these organizations by visiting the webpages for each council. Membership requires payment for the activities decided on by the organization. In addition, organizations that are nationally affiliated (meaning they are on more than just our campus) will require membership dues, initiation fees, insurance payments, etc. Housed organizations have comparable costs to other campus living options. The cost of membership is very reasonable considering all that you get as you invest in your future through the friends and experiences you create today. Feel free to ask questions to any member about financial obligations.

What are the requirements to join a fraternity/sorority?
The requirements vary based on the specific organization.  Generally there is a minimum GPA requirement of 2.5 or above and quarterly dues assessed.  To find out the specific requirements, contact the organization directly.

Is there a cost involved in joining a sorority/fraternity?
Generally there are fees to join, which is comprised of an initial expense as well as quarterly dues.  Depending on what expenses are covered by the quarterly dues, there may be additional expenses incurred for individual events.

I’m concerned about hazing.  Do fraternities/sororities haze?
Hazing is illegal.  The University takes allegations of hazing seriously and will investigate possible incidents of hazing.  Organizations do not condone hazing.  Anyone who has participated in or has knowledge of hazing is encouraged to report it to law enforcement or the Office of Student Conduct.

What are fraternities/sororities?
A fraternity/sorority is a group of men/women who adhere to the same ideals and principles, work together toward common goals, and are bound together by rituals and the highest possible level of friendship.
These organizations strive to develop the individual talents of members and each member uses these talents for the benefit of the whole.

What types of fraternities/sororities are there?
Currently there are 21 fraternities and 27 sororities: 12 NIC (historically white) fraternities, 10 NPC (historically white) sororities, 2 NPHC (historically African American) sororities, 2 NPHC (historically African American) fraternities, 1 Engineering sorority, 5 Asian-interest sororities, 1 Asian-interest fraternity, 3 Latino-based fraternities, 4 Latino-based sororities, 1 Multicultural fraternity, 4 Multicultural sororities, 1 Gay, Bisexual & Progressive Men fraternity, 1 Armenian fraternity, and 1 Armenian sorority.

Are there other Greek Letter organizations at UC Irvine?
Yes.  Some Greek Letter organizations are based on specific interests such as, profession, community service, and honor societies.  These organizations are typically co-ed.

Are all fraternities/sororities the same?
No.  Each organization is different and was founded based on their specific values and ritual.

What percentage of the student population is in a fraternity/sorority?
Currently over 11% of the undergraduate population is a member of a fraternity/sorority.

International Center

What does the International Center (IC) do?
The International Center contributes to the development of campus diversity and internationalization by providing services and programs to the international population and the campus community.

Core functions of the International Center include:
1. Provide immigration services, including visa documents, interpretation  of  immigration regulations  and advising, and institutional compliance   of SEVIS and immigration    regulations;
2. Provide advising services to academic departments on issues related to the enrollment and employment of international students and scholars;
3. Serve as advocates for international  students and scholars,  and as their liaison with institutional, local, state and federal agencies;
4. Provide advice  and serve as a resource to internationals to facilitate their transition to the campus;
5. Provide programs and activities promote cultural exchange and bring together the international and domestic populations. 

How many international students or scholars do we have on campus?
Over 3,000 international students and scholars and about 500 international spouses and children, representing about 80 countries. The top three countries represented at UCI are China, South Korea and India. 

Who is considered an “international student”?
1. Undergradaute and Graduate Students, and EAP Students in F-1 or J-1 visa status; and

2. Visa documents issued by UCI-IC (or in rare cases Fulbright).

Note: There are students enrolled at UCI on visas (other than F-1 and J-1).  Some of these students do eventually become F-1 students. 

There are also international student on campus enrolled at UCI Extension programs. 

Who is a “scholar”?
Someone at UCI conducting research or teaching; including post-docs, short-term visitors on campus, etc.  Must have a UCI academic appointment/employment. Generally, these are individuals on J-1, H-1B, O-1, TN, J-2, F-1 OPT visas. Some “scholars” may also be participating in “short-term non-degree activity” through cooperative agreements between UCI and a foreign institution.

What other services does the International Center provide?
Immigration compliance is a key component to the enrollment and hiring of internationals on our campus. The IC compliance and immigration services allow UCI to enroll and host international students and scholars.

The IC makes a contact with students and scholars prior to their arrival at UCI and for some it may be one of the few offices they correspond with prior to arrival; as well as their first stop at UCI.   The IC provides pre-arrival information to students and scholars; as well as providing welcome events and immigration orientation and resource overview.  In addition to these large events, the IC staff meets individually with each   international student/scholar to provide required information and assist with transition and adjustment.

Programs and activities include: English Conversation Program, English Development Workshop Series, Scholar Orientation and Mixer, Spouses Welcome, Fall Quarter I-STEPS course, Shuttle service to Social Security, International Coffee Hour.

In addition several immigration and employment related workshops are held for international students/scholars. The IC also provides training workshops for department personnel. 

What is SEVIS?
Student and Exchange Visitor Information System is a web-accessible database used by the Department of Homeland Security  to collect, track and monitor information regarding  international students and scholars who enter the United States in F, M and J visas. 

SEVIS is also the system that allows the IC to issue visa documents for students and scholars.

Schools and programs approved to enroll and host F and J students/scholars are required to report certain information about international students/scholars in SEVIS. Reporting requirements include enrollment status, changes in name, address, major, field of study, funding, degree levels, authorization of employment, etc. 

How do I get a student visa (aka I-20) to study at UCI? How does a scholar get a visa to be at UCI?
A student must be admitted and must meet all admissions requirements, including minimum English proficiency.  The student must make a request to the Admissions offices (or Department for Graduate students) that they need an I-20 (for the F-1 visa) or DS-2019 for (J-1 student). The student must also demonstrate financial documents for a minimum of one year tuition, fees and living expenses.

Once all paperwork is submitted, the IC reviews it for eligibility and must create a SEVIS record and issue a visa document. Students already in the U.S. on another school’s I-20 must request that their SEVIS record be transferred to UCI. UCI cannot issue the I-20 until we receive the SEVIS record from the previous school.

Scholars must be invited by an academic unit, must have an academic appointment and must be employed at UCI upon arrival at UCI. Scholars work directly with the academic department to receive an offer of employment. The academic department requests visa documents from the International Center. IC reviews paperwork to determine eligibility and completes appropriate documents depending on the visa required. 

Do international students need to be enrolled full-time?
International students in F-1 and J-1 Student visa status are required to be enrolled in at least 12 units to maintain visa status valid.  There are certain exceptions (including medical or specific academic difficulties), these need to be approved by the International Center prior to dropping below 12 units. The IC must also approve withdrawals, leave of absence, filing fees, etc. 

Is there financial aid available for international students? 
Generally speaking there is no government funded financial aid for international students. However, international students may be eligible for scholarships, fellowships, and other type of assistantships. Students should contact the Financial Aid office or Graduate Division (for graduate students) to inquire about funding sources. 

I am here on a visa and want to pay California resident tuition; how can I do that?
California residency for tuition purposes is determined after completing the “Statement for Legal Residence” form.  Questions regarding residence requirements, determination and exemptions should be sent to the Residence Deputy, 215 Aldrich Hall. 

Can an international student (or scholar) work on or off campus?
International students in F-1 and J-1 visa status may work on campus with authorization from the International Center, up to 20 hours a week during the academic year. Off-campus employment is possible after meeting certain criteria, receiving authorization from the International Center and/or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service or the Department of State.

Scholars are at UCI is employer specific visas. They must have an academic appointment and be in the “payroll system”, some may be here on “without salary” appointments. Generally, scholars may not work outside of UCI. Some exceptions are possible with authorization from the IC. 

Leadership Programs

How do students participate in Passport to Leadership?
The easiest way to participate is to just show up to workshops.  The schedule is posted online and, unless otherwise noted, there is no need to RSVP for workshops.  If a student would like to receive a Passport to Leadership Certificate, he or she needs to participate in a minimum of seven workshops (three of which are mandatory topics), create a profile on the leadership website, and fill out a workshop evaluation/self reflection for each workshop attended.  The mandatory workshop topics for Passport are Finding Your Leadership Strengths, Our Diverse Communities, and Public Speaking 101.  The other 4 (or more) workshops can be selected from more than 30 workshops ranging in various topics.

What is the Leadership Train?
The Leadership Train is an online searchable database of student leadership opportunities at UCI.

For Students

The Leadership Train is a tool to find, track, and organize leadership opportunities that are tailored to their interests.  Students can search for opportunities using a number of criteria to find the listings that are right for them and they can add the ones they like best to their favorites to stay on top of important dates, such as application deadlines, and be notified of changes or updates to the opportunities. 

For Faculty and Staff

The Leadership Train is a helpful tool to market leadership opportunities and to gauge the interest of students.  Faculty or staff with opportunities in the Leadership Train can see how many students have viewed their opportunity and how many have added it to their favorites. 

Where can I find Leadership opportunities?
You can search for Leadership opportunities on the Leadership Train which can be found here. The Leadership Train is a tool to find, track, and organize leadership opportunities that are tailored to their interests.  Students can search for opportunities using a number of criteria to find the listings that are right for them and they can add the ones they like best to their favorites to stay on top of important dates, such as application deadlines, and be notified of changes or updates to the opportunities.


Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center

What does the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Resource Center (LGBTRC) do?
The LGBT Resource Center creates a safe place for LGBTQ and Ally students to be themselves by providing support, resources, programs, one-on-one consultation, advocacy, and education for the larger campus community.

What does LGBTQA stand for? 
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/questioning, Ally

What's an "ally"?
An ally is someone who is supportive of the LGBTQ community.

What services or programs does the LGBTRC provide? 
Educational workshops & trainings on LGBT issues, being an ally, Safe Zone, bisexuality, gender, etc, program weeks for national events like National Coming Out Week, Pride Week, Day of Silence, Trans Day of Remembrance, social programs like 2nd Chance Prom and mixers, support & discussion groups for specific populations (bi, trans/genderqueer, Latino/a), library of LGBTQA related books and articles, an online and anonymous peer chat (Peer Connections), and lounge area with computer workstations, Nintendo Wii, board games, DVD library, and TV.

What is Safe Zone? How do I sign up for Safe Zone? 
Safe Zone is an ally development program to teach people how to be supportive of the LGBTQ community on campus.  It's a 4 hour workshop held in 2, two hour blocks at least twice a quarter. You can sign up online at the LGBTRC website.

What volunteer opportunities are there at the LGBTRC?
Students can volunteer at specific event/programs, for 1.3 units, help with outreach tabling, and staff the front desk at the LGBTRC.  Interested students should contact the LGBTRC. There are also several student groups that students can get involved with.  See Below.

What LGBTQA student groups are there?

  • Irvine Queers (IQ): social and political group for students that meets every Tuesday at 7pm in the Student Center
  • Delta Lambda Phi (DLP): fraternity for gay,bi, and progressive men
  • Queer Graduate Caucus (QCG): social group for LGBTQA graduate students that holds monthly social events like game nights or happy hours
  • TAG TEAM (Trans Alliance Group to Educate and Motivate): trans ally group that advocates to make campus a better/safer place for trans students; meets odd Wednesdays at 6pm at the LGBTRC
  • T-Time (trans support group): a weekly support group for trans/genderqueer/gender questioning students, must contact LGBTRC for more details
  • Fluidity Bi Request (bi/fluid support group): discussion/support group for those who are bisexual, pansexual, fluid, or nonmonosexual (not gay or straight) meets even Wednesdays at 6pm at the LGBTRC
  • La Familia (LaFa): support group for those who are LGBTQ and Latino/a; meets every Thursday at 5pm at the LGBTRC


Do I have to be LGBTQ to go to the Center? 
No.  The LGBTRC is a safe space for people of all gender and sexual identities.  When you come to the Center, no one will ask how you identify.

Does the LGBTRC offer free printing? 
Unfortunately, the LGBTRC does not offer free printing any longer.

What is Peer Connections? Is it really anonymous? 
Peer Connections is an online, anonymous chat for students who have LGBTQ questions.  You can register online at the LGBTRC webpage. The chat itself is completely anonymous.  During the registration process you will have to provide some information to the Peer Connections Coordinator to verify you are a current UCI student but that is never shared in the chat.

Do LGBTRC staff provide counseling? 
No.  The LGBTRC professional staff can provide one-on-one consultation and resource referral for students for LGBTQ related issues.  Walk-ins cannot always be accommodated so making an appointment is suggested.


New Student Programs

How do I sign up for Orientation?
More information for signing up for Orientation will come out in May. Signing up for Orientation is an online process. Freshmen sign up for SPOP (Student Parent Orientation Program) and Transfers sign up for Transfer Success.

Do parents have to attend orientation?
It is not required for parents to attend orientation, but it is highly recommended.

Is there Academic Advising at SPOP/Transfer Success?
There is academic advising for incoming freshmen at SPOP. Academic advising is not available at Transfer Success. Transfer students must contact their academic school for academic advising appointments.

Is there a waitlist for SPOP?
Yes.  If a student cannot get into a desired program and the school of their major is present at that program they can add themselves to a waitlist.  Students are offered space in waitlisted programs when and if it becomes available for their school and gender in the order they signed up.  

Do first-year students have to attend SPOP?
In most cases yes, but we have a process to request an exception.  The most common reason for being granted an exception is being out of state or out of the country during the programs.

Why don’t transfer students have an over night program?
The orientation program for Transfers, Transfer Success, lasts half a day and does not include academic advising.  We are unable to include advising and course enrollment in the program, because transfer students are much more complicated to advise than first years and cannot be advised in large groups.  Because advising is not included, the program is optional.  Unfortunately, with an optional program and without the hook of advising and enrollment, we do not have enough transfers interested in attending an overnight program.  While we like the idea of an over night program for transfers in theory, we would not be able to fill it in practice.  

Who can be an Orientation Staffer?
Any UCI student who will be enrolled in classes in the spring of the year he or she is staffing.  One of the central goals in selecting a staff is to gather as diverse a group as possible.  

What are the requirements to be an Orientation Staffer?
Minimum GPA requirement (TBA), must be able to attend Weekly Trainings every Wednesday from 5pm – 7pm, Half Day Training (Date TBA) Weekend Training (Dates TBA), and be able to staff the minimum number of orientation programs.

How much training does the Orientation staff receive?
Orientation Staffers go through ten weeks of weekly training every Wednesday of spring quarter from 5-7pm, a half day training on a weekend early in spring quarter, and a weekend of training early in the summer.  Staffers also participate in weekly one-hour discussion groups and have the option to go through a range of supplemental training opportunities we provide outside of the normal training schedule.  The training program is largely determined by the five student coordinators, but typically includes topics such as Diversity & Social Justice, Communication & Mentoring, Academic Advising, Sexual Assault Prevention & Response, Alcohol & Substance Use, Campus Resources, and many others. 

When do applications for Orientation Staff come out?
Applications come out Winter Quarter. A description and more information can be found on the Leadership Train here.

When is Celebrate UCI 2012?
This year it is April 21st, 2012.

Do you have to pay to attend Celebrate UCI?
No, parking and attendance are free.

Office of Student Conduct

What does the Office of Student Conduct do?
The Office of Student Conduct mainly handles cases involving allegations of policy violations.  The Policies can be found at The Office is also responsible for conducting background checks for students.

What are the top offenses that students do?
• Illegal Downloading
• Violations of the Alcohol Policy
• Violations of the Controlled Substances Policy
• Students failure to comply with the directives of a university official
• Theft
(Data assembled for cases from Fall 2010 to Summer 2011)

What happens when you find out you may have violated a policy?
A student should receive a notification letter from the Office of Student Conduct informing them of the allegation.  The allegation will include the time, date, and a general description of the allegation.

What is within the student conduct’s jurisdiction?
The university addresses all student conduct on campus and has the ability to exercise it’s discretion for student incidents that occur off-campus.

What is your average daily schedule like as a Student Conduct officer?
Student Conduct Officer’s schedules vary greatly and typically include staff meetings, participation in planning events to educate students on policies, consultation with staff and faculty, and, of course, meeting with students.

How long does the student responsible have their violation on their records?
Currently, we retain student records for 7 years.

How many people are on staff for the Student Conduct office and what are their responsibilities?
There are 4 people that are part of the Office of Student Conduct.  There is a director, 2 student conduct officers, and a case manager.

How do you decide on your sanctions?
A Student Conduct Officer will consider a variety of information when determining the appropriate sanction for a student.  The student conduct process is intended to be an educational process while balancing the needs of all parties involved.

Is there any program the Office of Student Conduct provides?
The Office of Student Conduct provides training for students, staff, and faculty that serve on the Student Conduct Review Board.

How likely is a student responsible for a violation to be found responsible again?
We have a very low number of students that engage in repeated violations of university policy.


Veteran Services Center

What does the Veteran Services Center do?
The Veteran Services Center provides veterans, reservists, active-duty members and dependents assistance in obtaining the educational benefits to which they are entitled. The center is responsible for submitting entitlement requests for new and continuing students to the Department of Veteran Affairs, answering any questions veteran students or dependents may have concerning their educational benefits and providing resources and programs to assist veterans in navigating their transition to civilian and student life.

I am a veteran and I’m getting out in the next couple of months.  How do I register to go UCI?
You have to apply to attend UCI.  The application process is done for the entire UC system in one application.  You can check out the following website to apply for the next Fall term, the filing period is between Nov 1-Nov 30th of every year, but the application becomes available beginning on Oct 1st of every year. 

If you have done some college work after high school then you would be applying as a transfer student.  Either way if you have been out of school for a long period of time, we often advise for you to attend a CA Community College for the first two years to get back into the swing of things and then apply as a Junior Transfer student.

I have a SMART Transcript and/or coursework from colleges in other states, will my units transfer over?
That is a question for the admissions office, but UCI cannot guarantee transferability of courses taken out of the state of California.  When you apply the Admissions Office will evaluate them and determine which credits are transferrable.   You can contact the Kim Perry, the veteran specialist in Admissions at and visit

I have the Post 9/11 GI  Bill, what’s covered at UCI?
UCI is a public institution so if you are 100% eligible, 100% of your in-state Tuition and Fees are covered at UCI, including Professional School fees.

I have been approved to receive a fee waiver, and have a letter from the VA stating this. What do I need to with this letter in order to get my tuition fees waived?<
Make two copies of your letter -- We will keep one and the other will be sent to the Financial Aid Office.

Can I use my Cal-Vet Fee Waiver for Summer School?
Yes. Pick-up a copy of your fee waiver letter in our VA Office (if you don’t hav e it) and attach it to your Summer School Registration.  You should not register online for summer school if you are using the Cal Vet Fee Waiver, use the pdf form found on their website (, follow the instructions for registering by mail or in person.  Submit it with the Cal Vet Letter and your Registration Fee, the rest will be waived.

I lost my fee waiver letter, what should I do?
Visit our office. We may have a copy of it or Office of Financial Aid should have a digital copy-- if not, call your county VA office.

All Education Benefits – Ch. 30, 31, 33, 35, 1606, 1607

I am a new/transfer student; I have/haven't received VA benefits before and would like to apply for benefits at this school. What should I do?
Visit our “How Do I Register for Benefits” page: Gather your paperwork together and submit it all at once to our office.  If time permits you can make an appointment to meet with the veteran coordinator, if not you can either fax or email to us.

I am adding/dropping classes and this will change my enrollment status that I filled out on the Veteran's Certification form. What should I do?
Changing status means to go from full to 1/2 time, 3/4 to full time, or any other such combination (full time is 12 or more units, 3/4 time is 9-11 units, 1/2 is 6-8 units). If you dropped from 16 to 12 units, which is still at full time, you do not need to do anything. If you added or dropped units that place you in a status other than you reported, you must report this change to our office by filling out a new certification form and indicating "Change of Status".

I am changing my major. What do I need to do?
You no longer need to take any formal action as VA legislation recently changed.  Please do let us know in the next Quarterly Certification you submit, highlight it to help us catch the change.

When is the deadline for submitting my Quarterly Certification Form?
There is no deadline for submitting your QCF. However, you cannot get your educational funds until you do, so it would behoove you to submit your form soon after you have registered for classes.  Do to an increase in submission with the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the need to cover their tuition before the fee deadline, those submissions may sometimes take priority.  The general rule of thumb though is turn it in by the first of the month, the month fees are due for the next term.